Powell Industries, Inc. Applications Engineer in North Canton, Ohio
This position is responsible for delivering an accurately costed, specification compliant, value engineered proposal for projects. Application engineers will also assist the business to facilitate successful execution of Powell projects and products where needed.
• Generate vendor request for proposal and manage specification compliance for buyout material/equipment
• Facilitate the resolution of complex technical issues on opportunities and projects
• Work with engineering and operations to institute cost reduction and standardization strategies
• Perform risk analysis for all projects on all proposals
• Facilitate the development of comprehensive technical proposals to include budget estimates and cost justification models
• Improve product performance by reviewing cost related data and conduct appropriate data analysis using performance measurements
• Generate proposals to include proposal drawings for feasibility of design per project specification
• Participate in the preparation of complex prototypes for testing and provide technical assistance on design feasibility
• Manage the standardization of complex processes, designs, components and assemblies
• Conduct thorough technical reviews of project specifications
• Support After Market sales of spare parts with product knowledge and business system knowledge
• Coordination of Field Service activities for their core products.
• Responsible for maintaining and growing their core products and markets
• Recommend cost effective make vs buy decisions
• Generate cost structure of proposals
• Accountable for estimate accuracy and specification compliance
• Assist, and possibly lead, development and improvement of standard estimating processes and tools
• Act as customer interface for technical inquiries
• Assist in developing and negotiating change orders on active projects
• Facilitate and/or participate in customer negotiations
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor Degree in engineering or other related field from an accredited institution.
• Preferably 2-5 years of electrical engineering experience, in the construction, manufacturing, oil & gas, traction power, and/or power distribution industry, or similarly complex projects.
• Strong computer skills and ability to quickly adapt to Powell business systems.
• Familiarity with ANSI, IEEE standards
• Detail oriented and results driven
• Experience delivering solutions to complex technical issues
• Proven ability to effectively execute on projects
• Proven understanding of power systems, relay application, coordination and short circuit studies
• Intermediate to Advanced CAD skills (AutoCAD preferred)