Mercy Health Nursing Associate 7 W Ortho Surgical Mercy Health St. Elizabeth Boardman in Boardman, Ohio
Nursing Associate 7 W Ortho Surgical Mercy Health St. Elizabeth Boardman
Job ID: 4663184
Updated: May 17, 2018
Geographic Location: Youngstown
Location: Boardman, OH, United States
Department: 7W Ortho/Surgical
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Standard Hours: 36
The mission of Mercy Health is to extend the healing ministry of Jesus by improving the health of our communities with emphasis on people who are poor and under-served.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Nursing Associate works with his/her team partner(s), the Registered Nurse and the Unit Secretary, to provide direct patient care. As a member of the Patient Care Team, the Nursing Associate is cross-trained to perform a wide range of essential patient services.
The Nursing Associate performs a variety of basic age-specific duties to assist in the care of the patients under the direction of a Registered Nurse (RN). All clinical care will be done under the direction of the RN who has determined appropriate tasks for delegation. The Nursing Associate makes observations as directed by the RN and reports deviations to the RN.
Qualifications - Minimum
• High School Diploma/GED.
• State-tested Nurse Assistant or completion of a hospital-based Nurse Assistant orientation program preferred.
• Experience in providing direct patient care.
• Computer literacy.
• Previous experience working in specialty area preferred
• Basic CPR.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Follows detailed written and oral instructions.
• Completes specific, routine tasks.
• Requires basic reading, writing or simple arithmetic skills.
• May operate basic equipment/machinery.
• Basic computer skills required
PRINCIPAL JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1. Performs general patient care including, but not limited to: bathing, mouth care, changing linens, dressing patient, back rubs, elimination, hygiene and other needs as expressed.
2. Observes patient’s responses and reports any adverse reaction or other pertinent information to Registered Nurse and Physician.
3. Demonstrates competency in providing age appropriate care to defined patient populations based on unit/area’s scope of service.
4. Obtains and records vital signs, height and weight.
5. Lifts, ambulates and transports patient. Seeks assistance as needed.
6. Positions patient and performs range of motion. Assists physical therapist as needed.
7. Anticipates patient’s needs and responds in a timely manner to patient and other caregiver requests.
8. Provides friendly assistance to patient’s family members and visitors strong emphasis on customer service.
9. Performs venipunctures for blood collection.
10. Collects specimens (i.e. urine, sputum) and ensures timely transport of specimens to the lab.
11. Performs designated bedside lab tests.
12. Applies oxygen therapy.
13. Performs electrocardiogram (ECG).
14. Performs wound care as directed by the RN.
15. Performs urinary catheterizations and enemas.
16. Observes universal precautions and aseptic techniques.
17. Performs computer order/entry functions as required by care center.
18. Accurately charts patient information following the guidelines for charting by standards.
19. Delivers menus. Prepares patient for meals, distributes food trays, feeds patient and removes trays. Distributes drinking water.
20. Answers phones courteously and quickly addresses the caller’s needs.
21. Initiates emergency procedures when necessary.
22. Works overtime as needed.
23. Assists in orientation of new personnel.
Job Accountabilities – other
1. Performs other duties as assigned.
2. Acts as a liaison and supports person for family members.
3. Assists with patient education and discharge planning under supervision of RN.
4. Inventories unit and determines supply needs. Conveys needs to appropriate personnel.
5. Assists in daily cleaning of patient rooms and care center. Helps prepare room(s) for incoming patients.
6. Assesses maintenance needs.
a. Initiates maintenance requisition to repair equipment, furniture and building fixtures.
b. Performs simple maintenance (light bulbs, batteries).
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
Hours per pay period: 72
Hours: 6:00am to 6:30pm
Shift and Job Schedule
Job Shift: Days, Job Schedule: Full-Time
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy to abide by all Federal and State laws, as well as, the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a), prohibiting discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibiting discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.